Yin Yoga and Nidra Yoga are one of the best known forms of Yoga. Both forms of Yoga are similar in that they both focus on relaxation. Yet Yin Yoga and Nidra Yoga have their own intentions and movements.
What is Yin Yoga?
Yin Yoga is a popular Yoga form. In Yin Yoga, you focus primarily on strengthening and loosening joints and connective tissue. The postures stretch deeper muscles and loosen the pelvic area. A perfect exercise for a profession that requires you to sit a lot.
Yin and Yang Yoga
Yin Yoga is more rest-oriented, Yin Yoga is widely used when there is stress or restlessness. This form of Yoga is all about letting go and surrendering certain feelings by relaxing as much as possible.
With Yang Yoga there is a more active Yoga posture. You tighten your body more in these, developing strength and endurance.
Yin and Yang Yoga can complement and strengthen each other.
Benefits of Yin Yoga
- With Yin Yoga you are not actively engaged: by relaxing as much as possible, you perform your exercise properly.
- Flexible connective tissue: through certain postures you make the stiff connective tissue more flexible.
- You can let go of everything: had a hard day or exercise? Finish with Yin Yoga to completely unwind.
- Yin Yoga lets you accept certain things: during this form of yoga you have to let go of certain things and accept them for what they are. You cannot always want everything.
- You get to know your own feelings. By recognizing the certain tension, you can let them go more easily.
What is Nidra Yoga?
Nidra means ‘sleep’. Not surprising, because during Yoga Nidra it seems like you are sleeping, but your consciousness is still working in the meantime. Yoga Nidra is a yoga form that has been used for a super long time. And while it looks like you’re sleeping, you’re just awake and super alert! The purpose of the exercise is to allow you to release and process certain stresses that you have. Some people think of Nidra Yoga as a form of mediation. However, it is not. Behind Yoga Nidra, as with some other forms of yoga, there is a philosophical thought. Namely, it allows you to go to the Supreme during this practice.
Benefits of Nidra Yoga
- You are consciously relaxing: it is super hard to really relax and let go of everything for a while. Yoga Nidra is a very good way to bring your body back into balance.
- You sleep better because of it: you are consciously busy with letting go of everything and with relaxing. By doing certain exercises before sleeping, you fall asleep faster and deeper.
- Less stress through Yoga Nidra: during Yoga Nidra you focus only on yourself, you let go of all external influences. When you are in a stressful situation you can relax faster.
- You leave your thoughts to the imagination. You are away from the here-and-now. You are in another world and see other things than usual.
Difference Yin Yoga and Nidra Yoga
Yin Yoga and Nidra Yoga both focus on relaxation of the body. Where with Yin Yoga the goal is to loosen your joints, with Nidra Yoga the goal is to release certain tensions. Take a moment for yourself and choose a yoga practice that fits your feelings of the day. To make your yoga practice even more fun you can choose one of the fine yoga mats from A-FTNSS.